Psychology and Language Training Department was created at the Management Faculty, the Institute of Economics, National Mining University in 2002. Since 2003 the Department has been carrying out training in "Philology" major, providing Bachelor Qualification.
The department was renamed “Translation and Educational Psychology Department” in 2007 (order N 487l 21.05.2007), then “Translation Department” (order N 73l 29.01.2008).
In 2007, the National Mining University got the licence to train specialists in specialty 7.030507 "Translation" (State Accreditation Commission decision 27.11.2007 protocol N 68).
From 2003 till 2008 the Department provided teaching to the students of Management Faculty, Finance and Economics Department, Institute of Extramural and Distance Education and for students majoring in Translation. The cycle of vocational and practical courses included:
• Practical Course of Foreign Language (English, German, French);
• Foreign Language for Professional Purposes (English, German, French);
• Practical Course of Basic Foreign Language (English);
• Practical Course of the Second Foreign Language (German);
• Practical course of the Third Foreign Language (French);
• Introduction to Linguistics;
• The History of Foreign Literature;
• Basics of Language Communication Theory
• Introduction to Translation;
• English Terminology;
• English and Ukrainian Comparative Lexicology;
• English and Ukrainian Comparative Grammar;
• Comparative Stylistics of English and Ukrainian Languages;
• Foreign Languages Teaching Methods;
• English Language History;
• Translation from the First Foreign Language (English);
• Translation from the Second Foreign Language (German);
• Linguistic and Country-Specific Studies of the First Foreign Language;
• Scientific and Technical Translation Basics;
• Translation in Economics, Management and Law;
• Translation in the Field of Organizational Management;
• Translation in Finance;
• Language of English Mass Media;
• Language of English Press;
• English Documentation;
• The Basics of Diplomatic Protocol and Etiquette;
• Grammatical Problems of Translation;
• The Basics of Video Editing
• Translation in Business Language;
• Translation of Management of Foreign Trade Activities;
• Linguistic and Country-Specific Studies of the Second Foreign Language;
• Spanish Language;
• Language of Official Papers;
• General Psychology Basics;
• Psychological Aspects of Management;
• Psychology of Business Communication;
• Psychology of Emotional Intelligence;
• Group Psychology;
• Psychology of Creativity;
• Memory Psychology;
• Stress Psychology;
• Neurolinguistic Programming;
In 2002-2008 the department was headed by L. N. Derkach, Doctor of Psychological Sciences, Professor. Under her supervision the department investigated psycholinguistic problems of interpretation (mechanisms and models), innovative approaches to interpreters training in conditions of multilingualism, neurolinguistic issues forming the translational competence of students simultaneously acquiring four foreign languages.
L.N. Derkach Candidate (1982) and Doctoral (1994) theses dealt with critical problems of Psychology, Foreign Languages and Translation Teaching Methods. She is the author of a comprehensive interdisciplinary neuropsycholinguistic approach to foreign language teaching in a Technical University. She was awarded the Witkin-Okonji (USA) twice; took part in international conferences in Switzerland, England, Germany, Scotland, Brazil, Bahrain.
Scientific works by Prof. Derkach L.N. were published in Springer-Verlag, UNESCO Education Sector (2000, 1999) and foreign journals: “International Journal of Psychology” (Vol. 35, 2000); “Lecture Notes in Computer Science”(Vol. 2117, 2001) and collective monograph “Cognitive Technology: Instruments of Mind” (Springer, 2001).
9. EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITY
The Department is equipped with 7 personal computers three of which have the Internet connection, yet their low capacities do not allow to use them efficiently in education process. During 2010-2011 the resourse base of the Department was strenthened due to the NMU's funds and sponsors' assistance: 2 printers ÍÐ F4500 and Canon LBP 3010 were purchased. All these steps allow improving the educational process and support the high level of the conferences, olympiads, the Freshers' Day and other Department events.
Tasks and mechanisms to solve the problems
In teaching –
- To improve the quality of discipline delivery by means of teaching techniques enhancement and new foreign language approach implementation;
- To apply the results of the qualification improvement application and teachers' training;
- To discuss the observation lectures and practical classes and organize the professional seminars of the highly-qualified experts from the university partners of the National Mining University (National University at Cherkasy etc.);
- To create the students encouragement stimulation system;
- To improve the selection of bases and forms for practical training;
- To organize meetings with graduatess and professional translators.
- To conduct educational guidance among school leavers, graduates of gymnasia, lyceums and colleges in Dnipropetrovsk, Dnipropetrovsk Region and others.
- To pay more attention to the Region's provincial schools.
- To prepare new advertising materials about the Department for presenting them at the meetings with the school leavers and their parents.